Do you experience facial scabs? What are the causes and symptoms of Scabs on face? What is the best way to heal scabs on face? Scabs usually form as usual part of healing process of all kinds of skin injuries. If you have face scabs, don’t panic, this work is going to explore more on the meaning, causes, symptoms, treatments and easy home remedies to heal scabs fast.
- 1 What is the meaning of scabs on face?
- 2 Causes of skin scabs on face
- 2.1 1. Acne or pimple scab on face
- 2.2 2. Chronic Scratching
- 2.3 3. Psoriasis Lesions on the Face
- 2.4 4. Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis)
- 2.5 5. Autoimmune Disorder
- 2.6 6. Facial Trauma Scabs (Maxillofacial injury)
- 2.7 7. Bacterial infections on the face
- 2.8 8. Dry skin on the face
- 2.9 9. Allergic Reactions
- 2.10 10. More Causes
- 3 Signs and symptoms of scabs on face
- 4 How to get rid of face scabs or healing scabs of face
- 4.1 1. Scab healing using OTC and Prescribed Treatments
- 4.2 2. Natural home remedies for scabs on face
- 5 Important Notice
- 6 When to call your doctor
What is the meaning of scabs on face?
Before we proceed to the causes of scabs on face, I think it would be cleverer to know what a scab is. Let us get it this way, when you experience injuries and bleeding, you skin will develop a hard cover to protect the injured area and prevent further infection or injury. That hard cover is what is called a scab. Healthgrades.com says that, “Scabs result from a growth of new skin over damaged skin as your skin attempts to heal.” They can occur on face, scalp, chest or generally where the skin is damaged and it attempts to heal. During the healing process, the scab may itch or irritate a bit. Such scabs are usually ugly and embarrassing especially when they visible i.e. when they appear on your face.
Causes of skin scabs on face
There are numerous causes that can result to facial skin scabs taken into consideration that face is prone to many acne problems and more skin conditions. They can range from simple skin injury to serious skin condition or severe veiled health conditions. Read about to learn more about the most common causes of scabs on face.
1. Acne or pimple scab on face
Acne also known as acne vulgaris is a skin condition that involve the oil glands at the base of the hair follicles-the oil will block the hair follicles triggering development of acne. It very common during puberty when there are intense hormonal disorder in both genders. Mild to severe acne usually will lead to some hard skin over damaged skin-the scab. The clear cause of acne is not well-defined but medical experts believe that the primary cause is rise in the level of hormone androgen. Acne are linked to many skin rash or lesions that can causes skin scabs anywhere in the body including the face. Types of acne pimples that can lead to face scabs include, pustules, whiteheads, blackheads, papules, nodules and cysts. Acne usually cause sore, wound or lesions that can form scabs during their healing stage. There are many medications that your dermatologist will prescribe to heal acne scab including scab cream among other treatments, just make sure you let him/her aware before applying any medication
2. Chronic Scratching
Conditions that can urge you to scratch your face skin can also trigger facial scabs. Constant scratching of the facial skin will bruise the skin leading to damage of the skin tissue or even bleeding. When resultant sore or wound tend to heal, scabs will be among the usual symptoms. Factors or conditions that can lead to chronic scratching include constant itching from, skin lesions or itchy rashes on the face. They can be due to infections, dry facial, allergic reaction, skin conditions or something else. When the skin on your face is itchy, it is advisable not to scratch but instead, you can apply the easy natural remedies to relieve. Scratching will damage your skin leading to serious infections or very painful sores on the face hence more scabs.
3. Psoriasis Lesions on the Face
Psoriasis is a skin condition whereby the body immune system accidentally attack the healthy skin cells. According to Webmd.com, psoriasis is “characterized by skin cells that multiply up to 10 times faster than normal” The reasons why this happens is not very clear but some medical experts relate it with other medical conditions.
This skin condition can attack anywhere in the body including scalp, legs, chest, back and face among others. This skin disorder is believed to be irritating and itching. It can also be very painful especially when the resultant lesions is cracking and bleeding. The itching sensation may lead to scratching which eventually damage the skin hence contributing to formation of the scabs. On the other side, the psoriasis lesions will form the scabs during their healing process.
4. Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis)
This is a common skin disorder that often begin before the baby is 1 year old. The main symptoms of eczema is dry, red and itchy skin. It can also be accompanied with cracked and weepy skin and then formation of skin scabs.
This condition can also involve other severe conditions but there are good remedies that can be applied to control it. There are numerous factor that can trigger eczema e.g. include skin dryness, irritants, allergies and infections. It also causes many skin lesions that will form scabs as they heal.
5. Autoimmune Disorder
American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association (AARDA) says that, an autoimmune disease develops when your immune system, which defends your body against disease, decides your healthy cells are foreign. This will lead to brutal killing of the healthy cells by your immune system. Depending on the type of autoimmune disorder you are suffering from, it can lead to unusual organ growth or function. There are many types of autoimmune disorder diseases and many have similar symptoms hence complicating the diagnostic tests. Common autoimmune diseases include rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, pernicious anemia, vitiligo, celiac sprue disease, scleroderma, inflammatory bowel diseases, Hashimoto’s disease and Psoriasis.
Again, the exact cause of autoimmune disorder is not known but can be triggered by the following factors:
- bacteria or virus infection
- chemical irritants
- environmental irritants
Autoimmune disorder can trigger itchy skin or lesion on the affected skin which cause skin scabs on face as they heal.
6. Facial Trauma Scabs (Maxillofacial injury)
Facial trauma is defined as any injury to the face and upper jaw bone, lower jaw, cheek, nose, or forehead. Common cause of facial injury include penetrating injuries, automobile accidents, violence, sport injury or wounds. Symptoms will include swelling, bruising or bleeding wounds. Other symptoms may include missing teeth, double vision, and deformed face. When bruises or wounds tend to heal, they will lead to itching and formation of face scabs.
7. Bacterial infections on the face
There are wide range of bacterial infections that could lead to itchy rash on the face. They can be caused by different bacteria types. The resultant irritations from these bacterial infections will trigger scratching resulting to bleeding and hence scabs formation. They can also lead to severe skin lesions that can also leave behind scabs as they try to heal. Common bacterial infections that can cause scabs include:
- Staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome
- Toxic shock syndrome
- Scarlet fever
8. Dry skin on the face
According to Medicinenet.com, “Itching is one of the most common symptoms of dry skin” Basically, dry skin is a syndrome of lack of appropriate amount of water in the superficial layer of the skin. This can induce itching that may be difficult to resist. Dry skin is a common skin condition that is more common among the elderly. Dry skin can also involve complications such as rashes, eczema and bacterial infections. It can also lead to cracking and breaking of skin leading to weepy skin. Scabs will be the next symptoms as the healing stage initiates. This condition is always mild but can be very severe especially when it involves bacterial infections. The most effective remedies involve topical corticosteroids and lubricating lotions and scab creams. Antibiotics can also be applied in cases of bacterial infections
9. Allergic Reactions
This is the body`s ways of responding to an “invader” or foreign substance. Foreign substance can be certain food, medications, plants, dust, pollen, medications, insect bites and some pets among others. Allergies have got many symptoms but the most important symptom for our case is a red, itch rash. Such rashes may involve scratching that can lead to sores and scabs on face formation. The best treatment for this condition is antihistamine medications.
10. More Causes
Other less common causes or indirect cause of scabs on face include the following: Lupus disease, HIV, stress and anxiety leading to picking of scabs and Cancer disease
In general, apart from facial injury, anything that can cause facial itchy rash or lesion can lead to scabs on face. There are more causes of scabs on face but the most important thing is a proper diagnosis that will unmask the associated primary causes and proper treatments.
Signs and symptoms of scabs on face
Symptoms accompanying scabs on face are numerous. This usually depend on the underlying causes. The cause s will also determine the severity of resultant symptoms. The severity of the symptoms ranges from mild to moderate to severe and as we had said before, they will depend on the causes. Scabs also tend to have various colors i.e. white, black, brown, yellow and red color. Severe scabs is often determined by yellow or green pus-they denotes severe infections. Read below to learn more on the most common symptoms accompanying scabs on the face.
- Itchy skin
- Pain or soreness
- Pus or discharge
- Redness, warmth or swelling
- Bleeding or bruising
- Burning feeling
- Thickening of the skin
- Scab scar
- Tingling sensation
Sometimes, causes of scabs on the face may be due to serious medical condition and for this case the resultant symptoms may be life-threatening even though scabs are rarely a serious condition. Such dreadful conditions may include change in the level of consciousness, redness around the scab, rapid breathing and high fever among others. These symptoms needs medical response in emergency setting.
How to get rid of face scabs or healing scabs of face
Removing Scabs or scab on face treatment will be defined upon considering the age, medical history and the severity of the resultant symptoms. Scab healing on face will also depend whether the scab is bleeding or not. All these factor to be considered solely depend of the specific causes of the scabs. Scab treatment ranges from over the counter remedies, prescribed medications to natural home remedies.
1. Scab healing using OTC and Prescribed Treatments
Topical and oral antibiotics
Both topical and oral antibiotics can be used to heal scabs due to bacterial infections. All these medication of antibiotics are available with prescription. Antibiotics especially the oral ones may in some cases involve very serious side effects that may worsen the situation. A lot of care should be bestowed while undergoing antibiotic medications.
All rashes or skin lesions resulting from allergic reaction can be effectively stopped or relieved using antihistamine medications. Alternatively, defining substances you are allergic to and giving them your back is another brainer idea.
Salicylic Acid Treatments
Salicylic acid also forms good healing scabs cream. It can also be in form of lotion. This is very effective for many skin rashes and lesion that may lead to scabs formation.
Immunosuppressant drugs are drugs used to suppress or limit the strength of your body immune system. They can be used to treat autoimmune diseases such as lupus, psoriasis, and rheumatoid arthritis. These drugs treat all autoimmune conditions as well as organ transplant. They include:
- Calcineurin inhibitors
- mTOR inhibitors
- Monoclonal antibodies
Always consult your doctor before applying any scab treatment. Apart from the above medications. Your doctor may also prescribed more stronger treatment depending of the severity of the face scab symptoms
2. Natural home remedies for scabs on face
Before spending a lot of money to purchase prescribed medications or OTC medications, there numerous effective natural remedies that can be applied to relieve the symptoms of scabs on face. But remember before you apply these remedies, make sure your scab is not bleeding.
Apply Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is excellent home remedy to heal scab fast and effectively. It has got antiseptic characteristics that will prevent scabs from being infected by bacteria. It also prevent infections of the wounds and cuts. To apply this remedy
- Drip some tea tree oil on a cotton ball until it is damp
- Then you can apply the oil on the scab using the cotton ball
- Do not use extra pressure, this can break the scabs leading to bleeding
- Apply this remedy twice a day for effective result
Use Honey for Scab Healing
This natural ingredient has antiseptic properties that will help it to heal the scabs very faster. Actually this is a wonderful antibiotic that usually help to heal skin after injuries. This is how honey is applied to heal scabs on face:
- Before applying this ingredient, you should wash your entire face and specifically the skin around the scabs
- Dry your face to make sure that there is no excess water or moisture on your facial skin
- Apply honey on the scabs on skin
- You can wrap the scab using hydropolymer to absorb discharge from the scabs.
- You can apply this remedy once in a day until the scab heals.
Remember when you keep your scab dry and clean, it will heal faster than usual.
This the king of herbs that treat wide ranges of skin conditions including scabs. It heals wound and cuts as well. It work best for acne scab. It helps in soothing the skin and relieving itching. It also get rid of scars resulting from scabbing. To use aloe vera:
- Get a fresh aloe gel and apply it on the scabs
- Leave the gel to sit on face for about 2 hours or you can apply this remedy before going to bed, and leave it overnight
- Aloe vera can also lighten scab scars and any dark areas on your face
- Apply this remedy but when the scabs does not heal, you can visit your dermatologist.
Baking Soda for Scabs on the Face
This is a widely used home remedy for all types of skin conditions. Facial scabs can also be treated using a paste from baking soda and water. This product has got antiseptic and antifungal properties that enable it to heal many skin conditions including the scabs. It also enhance dropping off of the scabs on skin by tightening them and allowing them loosen from the base. Use the following procedure to apply baking soda remedy to heal the scabs.
Warm Compress to heal scabs on face overnight
Another perfect remedy for scabs removal is warm compress. Medical experts says that warm compresses can heal the scabs on face and other bothersome skin conditions. According to medhealthdaily.com, “It has been reported that warm compresses can help remove acne scabs overnight, although we cannot independently verify this.” They perform their justice by moistening, softening and loosening the scabs.
- Deep clean washcloth on warm water (not hot water)
- You can then apply it on the worrisome scab. This will calm itching and loosen the irritating crust and scabs
- This remedy should be repeated twice in a day for around 5 minutes in every application
Warm compress also hasten the blood supply to the skin surface where the scabs are located hence enhance the healing of injured skin tissue.
- The most important hint upon scab removal is not to pick, pop lesions or scabs. Though it is so tempting, we are all aware that picking or scratching itchy scabs can lead to secondary infections that may worsen the condition.
- Make sure the diagnosis of the facial scabs are done by qualified medical professional
When to call your doctor
Usually, scabs on skin are not harmful since they form parts of healing damaged skin as well as a layer protecting damaged skin from bacterial infections, sometimes they can be due to very serious unseen medical conditions. Therefore, when you suspect that the resulting symptoms occurring alongside face scabs are unbearable, you should seek immediate medical care. Also see your doctor when your facial scabs don’t respond to over the counter scab removal or natural home remedies.
List of References
- What are scabs: https://www.healthgrades.com/symptoms/scabs
- How to Get Rid of Pimple Scabs Fast, Heal Acne Scabs on Face Overnight: http://www.treatcurefast.com/pimples/pimple-scab/pimple-scabs-how-to-get-rid-acne-scabs-fast-overnight-cover-heal-scabbing-over/
- How to Get Rid of Acne Scabs Fast: http://www.livestrong.com/article/260432-how-to-get-rid-of-acne-scabs-fast/
- How to Get Rid of Scabs on Face Fast from Cold Sores, Scars, Vaseline for Yellow Scabs: http://www.healthyhowto.org/skin/heal-scabs/get-rid-of-scabs-fast-overnight-face-legs-heal-cold-sore-scabs-scars-faster/
- How to Heal Scabs Fast: http://www.newhealthadvisor.com/How-to-Heal-Scabs-Fast.html
- How to get Rid of Acne Scabs: http://www.medhealthdaily.com/how-to-get-rid-of-acne-scabs/
- Facial Scabs/Scales: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dermatology/Facial-Scabs-Scales/show/1591960
- Healing Scabs on Your Face: http://skincare.lovetoknow.com/Healing_Scabs_on_Face
- How to Cover Up a Scab on the Face: https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-cover-up-a-scab-on-the-face/
- What is a scab: http://kidshealth.org/en/kids/scab.html