Rashes on baby face including around rashes eyes, nose, on cheeks, etc., in children is a common disorder with several causes. The location, symptoms and the pattern of such rashes on kids can give a hint as to the primary causes.
Discover more on causes of baby rash on face symptoms, diagnosis, itchy rashes on face and how to get rid of baby face rash.
Before we could discuss the common causes of baby rash on face, let us get to understand the meaning of face rash first. A rash is skin reaction that can make the skin to become red, swollen and blotchy. In babies, rashes can occur on face, chest, torso, groin, scalp, back, neck, legs, stomach among other body parts.
- 1 Causes of baby rash on face
- 1.1 Rash on baby’s face symptoms
- 1.2 Itchy rash on baby face
- 1.3 How to get rid of rash on baby face? – Baby face rash treatments and preventions
- 1.4 How to prevent Baby face Rash
- 1.5 When to Contact the Doctor?
Causes of baby rash on face
Some of the common causes of baby rash on face include the following:
Baby rash on face can also be due to condition known as impetigo. It is a superficial infection of the skin caused by a bacteria Staphylococcus bacteria. It is common around the nose of the babies but can also appear in other parts the baby body.
According to Emedicinehealth.com, “The rash is more common in the warmer months.” Medical experts has also linked it with secondary infections, eczema, poison ivy, insect bites or abrasions.
Some of the symptoms of impetigo include small blisters that result to red, open patches on the affected skin. The resulting rash can be very itchy. Though this condition is rarely serious, it is all the same highly transmissible.
Eczema (Atopic Eczema)
This is a dry, itchy condition of the skin common in many children. The most affected area in babies are face, neck, backs, elbows and knees. The good thigh with eczema in childhood is that it clears up in teen age. “Eczema can’t be cured, but it can be controlled with the right treatments.” [Babycentre.co.uk].
Symptoms of eczema include dry, itchy, red and cracked skin, which can sometimes emit discharge. In addition, is known to cause red rash on face of a child and it can be due to genetics. Once infected with eczema, a child/toddler can be prone to skin infections and allergens.
Fifth disease (slapped cheek syndrome)
Fifth disease is a viral infection that is most prevalent in babies but can also attacks people of any age. It normally accompany with bright red rash on the cheeks of a baby.
Usually, this a mild infection and normally clears up in about two weeks. Once your child is affected with this condition, he/she will be immune to this condition for life.
Despite this condition being gentle, it can be very severe in some people especially those suffering from blood disorders, weak immune system or one infected with virus.
Nhs.uk explains that, “Chickenpox is a common illness that mainly affects children and causes an itchy, spotty rash.” Many Children do suffer this condition at some point of their lives. It can also be experienced in adults that did not suffer it during their childhood.
Although this is less serious condition that clears up within few weeks, it can be very serious in babies with weak immune system.
Its symptoms include red raised spots on face or chest before they could spread to other parts of the baby body. It also occurs alongside blisters, scabs and crusts. You should also know that chickenpox is a highly infectious skin condition.
Acne vulgaris is caused by many factors. Excess production of sebum (normal skin oil), when coupled up with abnormal shedding of dead skin cells, the hair follicles may be plugged.
The clogged hair follicle will become a good habitat for Propionibacterium acnes. The body will then react by sending white blood cells to fight the bacteria. This forms baby acne.
Acne is common in the face, neck, chest, and back where many sebaceous glands are located. It occurs alongside blackheads and whiteheads which can be very severe if infected.
Milia are tiny white spots that usually appear on the baby face especially on cheeks, chins, forehead, around eyes and nose. Their symptom include raised bump with smooth texture.
Milia usually appear several weeks after birth since the oil gland of a young infant is still developing. This condition should clear up in about six weeks otherwise, you should seek for medication from your GP.
This is a common skin condition experienced by newborns and may appear in almost a half of the newborn infants. This ailment appear on the skin as red spots accompanied with little yellow or white pustules in the middle. The baby can get this kind of rash about 4 days after birth. It can occur any place in the body including the baby face.
Scarlet fever is a condition caused by a streptococcal infection of the throat. It occurs alongside symptoms such as rash that begins on the face and neck, high fever, sore throat. From the face and the neck, the rash can spread to other places. Scarlet fever leads to small rough bumps with reddened skin.
After about six days, the condition will disappear while the baby skin starts to peel off. Make sure you consult your physician so that he/she can test your baby for strep throat. The best medication for this condition will involve the use of antibiotics.
Hives also known as urticaria is an outbreak of pale red bump that appears suddenly and can occur anywhere in the body including the face, lips, tongue, throat e.t.c. According to Skinsight.com, Urticaria “is a common skin condition with itchy, pink to red bumps that appear and disappear anywhere on the body”.
Hives can be mild or chronic and can be triggered by various factors such as certain medications, bacterial, viral and fungal infections, environmental allergies, exposure to heat, cold, water, sunlight or pressure among other factors.
Various conditions can affect the body of a child leading to the occurrence rashes on the face and around the nose of babies. Conditions such as lupus, autoimmune disorders and nutritional deficiencies are among the conditions that can lead to newborn face rash.
For instance autoimmune condition is known to cause malar rash on baby`s face. Stronger treatments or remedies should be employed to control these systematic conditions.
Other cause of baby face rash
Just as we mentioned before, many factors or conditions can lead to occurrence of baby rash on face. So apart from the mentioned above, there are still more triggers, they include:
- Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV)
- Flat wart or common wart
- Bug bite or sting (pediatric)
- Drug eruption
- Keratosis pilaris
- Nevus (mole)
- Rubella (German measles)
- Molluscum Contagiosum
- Pityriasis Alba
- Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac
- Sixth disease or Roseola
- Tinea Versicolor
Rash on baby’s face symptoms
The symptoms of baby face rash may vary in terms of severity, size, shape and so forth. Some symptoms can be mild while others can be acute or chronic. However, all these will depend on causes.
In addition, you should also understand that some of such symptoms can be treated effectively at home but severer symptoms will require doctor’s intervention. Here are the common symptoms occurring alongside baby face rash:
- Red open patches on the baby face
- Red raised bumps
- Small red dots on skin
- Flat dry, white patches
- Itchy pink or red bumps
- Fluid filled blisters
Rashes on baby`s face can also be accompanied by serious conditions such as:
- Sore throat
- Muscle aches
- Loss of appetite
When these rashes occur with troublesome symptoms, make sure you see the doctor immediately to prevent the worsening or the spread of the rashes to other places. You should note that some symptoms of baby face rash could be life threatening, ensure to inform your doctor about the very first sign of such face rashes.
Diagnosis for baby face rash may be a bit challenging due to the fact that there are numerous triggers. Again some triggers may be localized while others are generalized (resulting to baby rash all over the body). This makes diagnostic complicated.
Itchy rash on baby face
Itchy rash on baby face may make both the parent and a baby to have sleepless nights. It can make the baby to scratch the affected itchy skin hence leading to spread of the infection making the condition worse.
We should not forget that not all rashes on baby face are itchy; some may be non-itchy depending on the causes. Here are some of the causes of itchy rashes on baby face:
- Allergic reactions
There are many home remedies that can be used to cure itchy rashes in babies. Top rated remedies include cold compresses, antihistamines among others. Consult your dermatologist for more serious itchy baby skin rash on face.
How to get rid of rash on baby face? – Baby face rash treatments and preventions
Baby rash on face treatment is not an easy task. You will need to ask yourself these questions:
- What is the child`s general medical conditions?
- Is the rash localized or generalized?
- Do your baby bear other symptoms of diseases?
- When was the onset of the underlying rash?
- Is your baby undergoing any medication by the time he/she develops the face rash?
- Has your baby been exposed to any allergens such as certain foods, soaps or skin care products?
- How severe is your child`s rash on face?
These questions will help you determine the most effective measure to heal the baby skin rash on face. Some of the general ways to treat rash is explained below:
Topical antiseptic/antibacterial treatments
Topical treatments can be necessary for treating skin infections leading to common baby rashes. If topical medications are always sufficient, there are cases where oral medications may also be opted for.
Antihistamines are ideal for curing skin conditions due to allergic reactions. They are effective especially for itchy skin condition for instance itchy baby skin rash on face when caused by allergic reaction.
This kind of medication should be used when going to bed since its nature to make children sleepy. Avoid antihistamines creams because they can irritate the skin of babies especially those having sensitive skins.
This one is very good remedy for dealing with itchy and swollen skin. However, a lot of caution should be taken when applying it. One should moisturize the skin of baby after employing cold compresses.
Home products – home remedies
Home remedies are also available for treating skin rashes in kids. This comprise of home products that have got many properties to deal with rashes e.g. antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal and acidic properties to cure various skin conditions. Below are the highly ranked home products for treating rash on child`s face:
- Coconut Oil
- Aloe Vera
- Lemon juice
- Tea tree oil
- Baking soda
- Egg white
The above discussed baby rash treatment procedures may be effective for mild or moderate baby face rash, for severe conditions, medical experts may apply stronger medications of their choice.
How to prevent Baby face Rash
Some causes of newborn face rash can be prevented but not all. So below are some of the techniques that can be applied to avoid your baby from suffering baby face rash:
- Avoid using products with harsh chemicals e.g. soaps, detergents, perfumes that may irritate the baby skin
- Don’t let your baby to put on tight –fitting clothing that may irritate his/her skin
- Make you moisturize your baby skin frequently to soothe and soften baby skin
- Identify substances that your child is allergic to and avoid them completely
- Make sure you bathe your baby frequently (maintain general good hygiene) to avoid dirt on the skin since accumulation of dirt may trigger baby acne
- Respond promptly to the very first sign of rash affecting your baby.
When to Contact the Doctor?
Usually contact your doctor immediately when you baby:
- Develop a rash close to the eyes
- Has a rash accompanied by high fever, sore throat, headache or vomiting
- Has a rash infected by bacteria
- Develops a rash when taking new medicine or has eaten certain food
- Has a rash accompanied with face swelling, breathing or swallowing problems
- Has a rash persisting for more than three days
- Develop impetigo due to secondary infections
- Generally see the doctor when your feel the baby rash symptom is serious or unbearable
You may also like
- Underarm Rash Causes, Pictures, Painful, Red & Itchy Rash Treatment
- Rash on Kids Facts, Causes, Symptoms, Types, Itchy, Non Itchy, with Rash Treatment and Cures
- Rash on Breast Meaning, Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Under Breast, Itchy and Treatments
- Causes of Rash on Back, Pictures, Symptoms, Itchy, on Shoulder, Back of Neck, Treatments and Home Remedies
- Rash on Hands Causes, on Feet, While Pregnant, Burning, Non Itchy, Bumpy and Cure
- Rash on Body Causes, Pictures, at Night, on Baby, During Menopause, Pregnancy, Symptoms and Treatment
- Skin rashes in babies: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/skin-rash-babies/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Childhood rashes, skin conditions and infections: photos: http://www.babycentre.co.uk/l1038755/childhood-rashes-skin-conditions-and-infections-photos
- Your Newborn’s Skin and Rashes: http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/baby-skin-rashes#1
- Baby Acne or Rash? 5 Types and How to Treat them: http://www.healthline.com/health/childrens-health/baby-acne-or-rash
- Rashes in babies and children: https://beta.nhs.uk/symptoms/rashes-in-babies-and-children
- Rashes: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/health-concerns/skin-care/rashes
- What Could Cause a Recurring Rash on the Face of a Breastfed Baby: http://www.livestrong.com/article/502165-recurring-rash-on-the-face-of-a-breastfed-baby/
- RASHES AND SKIN PROBLEMS IN BABIES: https://www.thebump.com/a/rash-skin-problem-baby
- Different Types of Rashes: http://www.parents.com/baby/health/rashes/rashes/