How do I get rid of upper lip hair? Unwanted lip hair especially in women can make their lips look less appealing or render them not being readily kissable. What can you do to get rid of fluffy, frizzy hair, sideburns or moustache? Which is the best method to use for long-lasting or permanent lip hair removal results?
- 1 Removal ways
- 1.1 1. Shaving
- 1.2 2. Waxing
- 1.3 3. Threading
- 1.4 4. Plucking or tweezing
- 1.5 5. Using an epilator
- 1.6 6. Depilatory creams
- 1.7 7. Topical treatments
- 1.8 8. Laser removal
- 1.9 9. Electrolysis
- 2 Why you don’t get good results
- 3 Home Remedies – Do they work?
Below are the various possible ways of removing lip hair.
Shaving is the easiest, faster and most common ways of removing unwanted hair, moustache or overgrowths. The technique used in shaving will determine the possible outcomes. In addition, the tools or machine you use can also say more about the results.
Tools used in shaving by men include razors, trimmer (machines) and hair clippers.
Most men use shaving techniques to remove lip hair. Whatever kind of tools you choose, ensure that they are in good condition and clean. This reduces chances of infection, irritation or such discomforts while shaving or shortly after shaving.
How best can you prepare for a perfect after-shaving results? Many people have no problem with shaving. However:
- If you have course hair upper lip hair select a good cream or moisturizer to apply before shaving
- Use single-blade razors
- Hold your razor handle away from the upper lips preferably 45degree angle
- Shave gently in one direction of hair growth
- Otherwise use a trimmer if you notice you develop razor bumps
- Be careful with selection of after-shave products to reduce irritation or control bumps
Shaving is used the least by women with unwanted lip hair.
Lip waxing as a method of hair removal is a form of getting rid of unwanted hair with temporary results.
Tips for good results after waxing
For any skin type, facial cleaning or cleansing is mandatory. Cleansing is one of the perfect ways of preparing for lip waxing. However, it should be done on time if you know you are going to wax the next 24 hours or so.
Use some kind of mild cleanser. The product you will use to do cleansing may differ depending on your skin condition.
Other factors to consider for good results/to avoid bad outcomes.
- Do not shower before cleansing or when you are about to do lip waxing
- For those with rather oily upper lips and areas around chin applying a baby powder or talcum will improve post-waxing expectations
- Avoid lip waxing if your lips or mouth is sunburnt
- Do not take hot showers when you are about to wax lips
- If you have recurring episodes of lip herpes or cold sores
- Recent surgery, skin treatments or certain medication such as steroids or blood-thinning medications
- Naturally sensitive skin
Besides it (salon lip waxing) being costly, some of the possible side effects may include the following.
- Intense pain
- Increased chances or being prone to ingrown hairs
- Formation of red bumps especially in people with increased lip sensitivity
- Minor bleeding can also occur
What is threading lip hair as a removal? Is threading better than waxing or shaving?
Threading as a technique, a thin strip of a thread is twisted and rolled over the areas with unwanted hair. It is used mostly on the upper lips. As the thread rolls over, hair can be trimmed or pulled out in multiples. This allows for proper shaping if done more precisely.
Unfortunately, it causes unnecessary pain and possibly can lead to irritation.
4. Plucking or tweezing
This refers to removing hair by pulling out single hair shafts using your hands or a pair of tools (tweezers).
Tweezing or plucking are considered traditional methods but interestingly some have used it recently. This method can be used for non-pigmented hair on upper lip especially when they are only a few.
Like threading, tweezing particularly can cause pain.
5. Using an epilator
Epilation can also be used on the upper lip hair removal with specially-made machines called epilators.
6. Depilatory creams
Moving on, depilatory or hair removal creams is another quick way of removing lip hair (mustache, beard, sideburns,
Likely side effects of depilatory creams
Some of the side effects due to use of creams to remove unwanted hair from lips or around mouth include:
- Skin irritation
- Burns with the wrong choice of creams or kits
- Increased sensitivity
7. Topical treatments
Topical treatments are targeting growth of hair. This treatment is provided by dermatologists to reduce the growth of hair. However, this is no guarantee hair not growing back.
8. Laser removal
Is laser the best way to remove unwanted hair from the upper lips?
Laser hair removal may be a treatment for you. With its long-lasting results, laser is comparatively and arguably better that use of creams and other creams.
Some of the reasons why laser can be suitable option for you include:
- It can be applied for any skin color or complexion
- Grey to dark or black or pigmented hair
- Course or finer hair
- Women affected with hormonal problems such as PCOS
The degree of success from laser treatment may also depend on your preparation and facial care. Therefore, if you have planned for your first appointment, avoid plucking or tweezing or waxing among other methods such as applying creams.
Potential side effects or health risks of laser hair removal
Can laser have side effects on my body? Known for its long-lasting to potentially permanent results and after-treatment satisfactory, laser patients sometimes report back a few side effects.
- While pain and redness is less-expected some still complain
- Although it is rare, some clients may experience burns and risk of blistering
- Crusting skin is uncommon but viable after blistering
- If you do not follow the right channel in terms of preparation, aftercare and treatment, potential permanent scarring on your facial area is likely to occur
- Another risk is infection
Is your hair type limiting you from going for laser treatment? Consider electrolysis. In this method, each hair follicle is destroyed hence prohibiting hairs from growing back.
In real sense, “electric current is applied that creates heat and chemical reactions to destroy the follicles capacity to produce another hair.” [www.advmedelec.com]
In modern techniques of electrolysis, a fine but blunt-edged surgical instrument can be inserted in individual hair follicles.
This is another best lip hair removal option that highly guarantees a permanent hair removal after several sessions or depending on amount of hair existing on your face. These are some of the benefits of lip hair removal by electrolysis.
- Unlike laser, electrolysis success is higher in terms of permanent hair removal
- Electrolysis can be used for any kind of hair color- whether it is course, light, dark or lack pigment
- It can also be used to get rid of thick mass of hair or moustache above upper lips
- It is FDA approved
With proper systems in place, electrolysis has least skin discomforts. At least mild burning can occur but lasts shortly. Al in all, different clients will have personal experiences with varying responses.
Why you don’t get good results
What methods do you use during lip hair removal? How do you do it? Some lip hair removal methods that are not very appropriate with your lip hair type, the way you do, how often you remove it yourself. These comprise the following.
- Shaving poorly or more frequently
- Plucking especially if you have thick or Chevron moustache
- Home waxing too often
- Aggressive threading
- Wrong choice of removal products such as depilatory creams
- Too many trials with little or without training especially lip waxing and threading
- Ignorance – for instance many people take it for granted to go for allergy checks before using depilatory creams
Home Remedies – Do they work?
Do home remedies actually work in removing lip hair? There are lots of trials and errors with home remedies. Results are very limited. In many cases, some never get results wanted regardless of the kind of hair that exists around the mouth.
- Mary Jo DiLonardo. For Women Only: Best Choices for Hair Removal. WebMD
- Laser Hair Removal: https://www.sknclinics.co.uk/treatments-and-pricing/laser-hair-removal
- Frequently Asked Questions: Advanced Medical Electrolysis
- Tweezing: Wikipedia