Scalp folliculitis is causes an inflammation due to an infection of the hair follicles that can cause hair loss. Folliculitis can affect hair follicles on the scalp or anywhere on the body. What causes scalp folliculitis? How do you know you have scalp folliculitis? Get more insight on causes and treatment of scalp folliculitis from the information provide below from the article.
- 1 Causes
- 2 Best shampoo
- 3 Allergy
- 4 With swollen lymph nodes
- 5 Can it cause hair loss?
- 6 Does it happen during pregnancy
- 7 Cures, treatments and home remedies
Folliculitis is brought about by a contamination of hair follicles, for the most part from the microscopic organisms Staphylococcus aureus. Folliculitis may likewise be created by infections, parasites and even an aggravation from ingrown hairs. The condition is named either shallow or profound, in light of the amount of the hair follicle it includes. Profound folliculitis is normally more serious. Follicles are densest on your scalp, and they happen wherever on your body with the exception of your palms, soles, lips and mucous layers. Harmed follicles are at danger of contamination. The most well-known reasons for follicle harm are:
- Contact from shaving or tight dress
- Warmth and sweat, for example, that brought on by wearing elastic gloves or waders
- Certain skin conditions, for example, dermatitis and skin break out
- Wounds to your skin, for example, from scratches or surgical injuries
- Covers on your skin, for example, plastic dressings or sticky tape
Scalp folliculitis is marked by red pimples with a hair in the center of each one. The pimples may have pus in them, and they may itch or burn. When the pimples break open, they may drain pus, blood, or both. Mild and moderate cases of folliculitis are often tender or itchy. More severe cases of folliculitis, which may be deeper and may affect the entire hair follicle, may be painful. Mild and moderate cases of folliculitis usually clear quickly with treatment and leave no scars. However, more severe cases of folliculitis may lead to complications, such as cellulitis (an infection of the deeper skin tissue), scarring, or permanent hair loss.
Scalp folliculitis is an annoying hair problem that causes inflammation and irritation of the scalp skin. Shampooing hair with a good shampoo is one of the ways to treat this condition. For treating scalp folliculitis, an individual is encouraged to go for shampoos that contain selinium sulfide, zinc pyrithione, or salicylic acid as one of the chief ingredients. The following is a list of shampoos that are used to enhance healing after being attack with scalp folliculitis and they are majorly found on AMAZON:
- Clear Poreformance Antibacterial shampoo is an effective choice for scalp treatment, especially treating scalp folliculitis.
- Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo, Moisturizing Treatment shampoo has selinium sulfide as its chief ingredient, and is very effective in treating this hair condition.
- Head & Shoulders Clinical Strength Dandruff Shampoo is a very good product for a clear scalp. It can be used by people troubled by scalp folliculitis.
- Watson Pharma Selenium Sulfide Anti Dandruff Shampoo is helpful in treating scalp problems like itching and flakiness of skin along with treating dandruff, and is moderately priced.
- Pantene Pro-V Anti-Dandruff Shampoo & Conditioner is also helpful in treating this condition up to some extent.
- Walgreens Menthol Medicated Dandruff Shampoo is another proven product to mitigate scalp folliculitis.
- Alberto VO5 2 in 1 Moisturizing Shampoo comes with a conditioner and is another effective product for scalp folliculitis.
- Selsun Blue Salon Pyrithione Zinc 2-in-1 Dandruff Shampoo contains zinc pyrithione as one of the ingredients and is very effective.
Most food allergies are caused by the same foods, including almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, citrus fruits, corn, crab, cow’s milk, eggs, fish, hazelnuts, lobster, oysters, peanuts, pecans, shrimp, walnuts and wheat. When you’re susceptible to a specific sustenance, your body responds as if some substance in that nourishment is hurtful to you and discharges histamines to battle it. This is a more extreme response than the ones created by a nourishment prejudice, and can be deadly if not treated instantly. Nourishment hypersensitivities can intensify skin inflammation, which can show up anyplace on your body. On the off chance that you have nourishment sensitivities and skin inflammation on you scalp, you could without much of a stretch mix up it for scalp folliculitis. The most ideal approach to be sure is to see your human services supplier. Getting an expert determination likewise guarantees that you pick the most secure and best treatment.
With swollen lymph nodes
Localized scalp inflammation due to scalp folliculitis can result to painful lymph nodes on the neck and even inside your armpit. The swollen lymph nodes occur due to the process of trying to counter the pain on the scalp due to folliculitis that has been induced by bacterial infections. Lymphedema patients are more susceptible to skin infections and are strongly advised against hot tubs because of the possibility of contracting Pseudomona folliculitis. This is a resistant gram-negative bacterial infection with serious complications. Fortunately, Topical antibiotics which may include bacitracin, polymyxin B sulfate (Polysporin), clindamycin, erythromycin, or mupirocin (Bactroban). You may also use an antiseptic cleanser, such as povidone-iodine (for example, Betadine) or chlorhexidine.
Can it cause hair loss?
Scalp folliculitis resulted due infection on the hair follicles or damaged hair follicles being attacked by bacteria causing infection. Folliculitis can affect hair follicles on the scalp or anywhere on the body. In the early stages of folliculitis, hair fibers usually are still present, but as folliculitis progresses hair often falls out. Severe folliculitis can cause extreme inflammation that can permanently destroy hair follicles and leave bald spots on the scalp. Non-infectious folliculitis is caused by excess oils and sebum on the scalp that clog hair follicles. It is also possible to have folliculitis caused by viral, fungal, or yeast agents, such as Herpes simplex. However, in most cases, folliculitis is caused by a bacterial infection. One of the most common hair follicle infections to cause folliculitis is Staphylococcus aureus. Another, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, causes what’s known as “hot tub folliculitis,” which is an infection that grows in inadequately chlorinated water.
Does it happen during pregnancy
The most common form of scalp acne during pregnancy is called scalp folliculitis. Scalp acne during pregnancy can take the form of micro pustules that spread all across the hairline which can be crusty, and it causes tremendous pain and itching sensation. During pregnancy, women are generally advised not to take excessive stress, or junk food. If there is too much oil secretion from the sebaceous glands, then it can be deposited on the scalp as acne. This can spread to other parts of the body also if special precautions are not taken. There are certain physiological, biological and environmental factors that cause scalp acne during pregnancy. They can be listed as below:
- Due to over-production of hormones, especially the Androgen form of hormones. Androgens re often considered to be male hormones because one of the main male hormone is Testosterone, but one of the male hormones are synthesized into estrogen during pregnancy. The estrogen is a female hormone. This hormone can create scalp acne during pregnancy.
- The other cause includes the secretion of sebaceous glands which trap harmful bacteria.
Cures, treatments and home remedies
The treatment of scalp folliculitis depends on the severity of the condition. The cure can either by use of home remedies or medication provided by a dermatologist.
1. Tea Tree Oil
The advantages of tea tree oil are various, from antiviral, hostile to contagious and against bacterial properties, to its incessant uses as a disinfectant. It is frequently utilized as a home solution for treating skin and hair conditions, scalp folliculitis included. Numerous common mending pros concur that tea tree oil has the energy of killing microscopic organisms in one of the most advantageous ways imaginable. In the event that you need to attempt tea tree oil as a home solution for scalp folliculitis, you should simply utilize a couple drops on the influenced territory. Bear in mind to rehash the procedure all the time for results to show up.
2. Castor Oil
As you’ll soon discover in our rundown of scalp folliculitis home cures, different sorts of oil can profit individuals experiencing this issue. The second one we need to speak more about is castor oil. Not exclusively will castor oil help alleviate scalp folliculitis, however it is likewise known for relieving the torment that ordinarily accompanies the condition. You can utilize castor oil for delicately kneading your scalp; a few drops ought to do the trap. Likewise with tea tree oil, ensure that you do it the same number of times as you need until the aggravation begins vanishing.
We adore garlic as a scrumptious and sound expansion to our home-cooked dinners. Nonetheless, not everyone realizes that garlic likewise has super mending powers for endless ailments. A put stock in home solution for a wide range of folliculitis, garlic can without much of a stretch be utilized for this scalp irritation. What you will requirement for treating scalp folliculitis is garlic juice, specifically, so remember that. It is ideal in the event that you acquire the garlic squeeze without anyone else’s input and utilize it while it’s new. Apply it to the influenced districts of your scalp and take mind in rehashing as vital.
4. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is yet another cherished home solution for a wide range of medical problems, particularly those associated with healthy skin. This astonishing substance is pressed with mitigating, cancer prevention agent, and antibacterial and against maturing properties that will all lead your way to a clean and agony free scalp. Much the same as with most other home cures we have incorporated into our rundown, coconut oil can be utilized for different skin issue, notwithstanding folliculitis. We exceptionally suggest that the coconut oil you use for scalp folliculitis is unadulterated, keeping in mind the end goal to get the outcomes you seek. Rub coconut oil onto your scalp a few times each day to keep up hydrated skin and make the side effects of scalp folliculitis leave.
These may include:
1. Creams or pills to control infection.
For mild infections, your doctor may recommend the antibiotic cream mupirocin (Bactroban). Oral antibiotics aren’t routinely used for folliculitis. But for a severe or recurrent infection, your doctor may prescribe them.
2. Creams, shampoos or pills to fight fungal infections.
Antifungals are for infections caused by yeast rather than bacteria, such as pityrosporum folliculitis. Antibiotics aren’t helpful in treating this type. Creams or pills to reduce inflammation. If you have mild eosinophilic folliculitis, your doctor may suggest you try a steroid cream. If your condition is severe, he or she may prescribe oral corticosteroids. Such drugs can have serious side effects and should be used for as brief a time as possible. Note: If you have HIV/AIDS, you may see improvement in your eosinophilic folliculitis symptoms after antiretroviral therapy.
- Folliculitis: https://www.skinsight.com/skin-conditions/adult/folliculitis
- Folliculitis – Topic Overview: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/folliculitis-topic-overview#2
- Best Shampoo for Scalp Folliculitis: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/best-shampoo-for-scalp-folliculitis.html